Saturday 15 October 2011

Turkey Curry Soup

So, how many turkey sandwiches can you eat?  I cooked a large turkey on Thursday night, and while I do love a good turkey sandwich (maybe with some avocado and sprouts, or some cranberry sauce and provolone, yum!!), I can only eat so many!  My family would also tire of that pretty quikly - in fact "one member in particular" cannot stand the "leftover-second-day-poultry-taste" that chicken and turkey apparently have.  So, I generally have to be quite creative with my poultry leftovers.

This soup recipe is not only the best use of turkey leftovers I have ever found, it might actually be the best soup recipe I have ever cooked.  So, obviously worth sharing on here!  So, while most of you have likely already used up your turkey leftovers (as I said, I only cooked mine on Thursday), you should definately bank this recipe for next year.  Or, if you chopped up some turkey and threw it in the freezer because you are out of ideas, this soup is the perfect thing to use it for!

Turkey Curry Soup

1/2 cup butter (it's part of the roux base and it makes a really big pot, so don't freak out at the butter content!)
2 onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup flour
1 TBSP curry powder
6 cups turkey, chicken, or vegetable stock (I obviously used turkey, since I had the carcass lying around)
2 cups potatoes, chopped
4 cups turkey
6 cups fresh spinach
2 - 400ml cans light coconut milk (could use half and half or even whole milk)
1 tsp sage

Melt butter and saute onions, celery and carrots until onions are translucent.  Add flour and curry powder and stir around for about 2 minutes.  Add stock and potatoes.  Let simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.  Add turkey, sage, and spinach, cooking until spinach has wilted.  Stir in cocout milk and reheat.

*I have not tried freezing this soup, but in my experience with soups containing coconut milk, they DO NOT freeze well.  I would not recommend freezing this soup.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it. Might have to do it some other time, since there was no turkey in this house this year... So sad.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all things curry. And of course - love turkey. Put together, who could this be anything less than spectacular!

    ReplyDelete