Tuesday 11 October 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

These are muffins a dear friend brought me after we had our second child. They took us our for dinner and brought along an ice cream pail full of these muffins. As nice as it was to get out for an adult dinner, let me tell you, the REAL treat was the muffins. They are simply delish and simply, well, simple! Of course, I asked for the recipe. I often "doctor" it a little bit to make it healthier - I will outline my most common changes at the end.
My kids often eat these for a quick breakfast, accompanied by yogurt, fruit, and a glass of milk to make it a good meal!

Pumpkin Muffins:
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1 cup olive oil
4 eggs
Mix first four ingredients and then add:
2 cups flour
1 cup bran
½ tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda

Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips if desired. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

*I will often sub 3/4 local honey or agave for the sugar
*I will often sub 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 of the oil
*I often make these entirely with spelt flour or at least 1/2 whole wheat or spelt
*Oh, and I've never made them WITHOUT the chocolate chips. I mean, who would do that??

No comments:

Post a Comment