Thursday 27 October 2011

Egg "McFunks"

This homemade version of the popular fast-food breakfast sandwich is a favourite breakfast of my whole family.  Sometimes, I just crave a savory breakfast instead of something sweet or fruity, and this option, which I usually serve with hashbrowns and a fruit smoothie, really hits the spot.  The credit for this idea goes to my mother-in-law, who has been making these for breakfast at the lake as long as I have known her and longer.

I have made these the night before, then heated them up in my panini press or oven in the morning.  I have also heard you can freeze something like this (individually, for convenience), but I have never done it myself.

**In this recipe, I bake my eggs in a giant muffin tin.  If you do not have one, you can fry the eggs in a pan instead and then add them into the sandwich.


Egg McFunks

6 whole wheat english muffins
6 nice thick slices of good cheddar cheese
9 slices of bacon cut in half, or a little bit of shaved ham, or omit meat
6 eggs

Grease one giant muffin tin (one that makes 6 muffins), or 6 - 4" ramekins.  One at a time, crack eggs into a mug or glass measuring cup and beat SLIGHTLY, just until yolk is broken, then pour into muffin tin until each hole is filled with an egg. Add a pinch of salt and a crack of pepper to each egg. Bake about 15 minutes at 350F or until eggs are set.  Let cool slightly.
Cook bacon (I do mine in the oven), or warm ham in a pan on stovetop if using.
Cut open english muffins. 
On one side of the muffins, layer cheese, ham/bacon if using, and top each with a baked egg and the other half of the muffin.  Warm them on a baking sheet in the oven, or in a panini grill until cheese is melted and muffin is toasty. 
Maybe serve with hashbrowns and a smoothy for a good breakfast or in my house, this flies as lunch too!  Yum!
Also, please excuse my photography skills!  I am working on it!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! These look fabulous Lauren. I just enjoyed an hearty breakfast concoction care of my Dad this morning. It had lots of cheese, just like this. Doesn't cheese just make everything better?!

    ReplyDelete