Friday 13 April 2012

Wild Blueberry Crisp

So, after a loooong hiatus, I am back to posting (here's hoping!).  Here is one of my most simple recipes and one of my most favourite desserts.  I love making this for company because the leftovers are actually healthy enough to eat for breakfast!  Not that that stops me from finishing of any other sweet treat the morning after - but at least you can feel alright about this one!

I developed this recipe when I was taking a meal to someone after they had a heart attack.  The entire meal was made mostly with heart-healthy ingredients.  This crisp definitely falls into that category containing blueberries, oats, flax, and olive oil.

I also love this as a healthy dessert on a weeknight.  My boys love dessert, but they only have it when it's a special occasion, or when I have the chance to add a healthy treat like this to the end of a meal.  Let's be honest, they don't know the difference!  It's all treats to them!  I will list some of our other favourite "family desserts" at the end of this post.

**Feel free to be liberal with the ingredients in this recipe.  I love a nice chunky crisp topping; however, some people love theirs more flaky and thinner.  Really, you gotta play around with this one before you bake it, tasting it, stirring it, until it's what you want.  I probably make this a little different every time!

1 - 9x9 or 8x8 square pan
1.5 600g packages of frozen blueberries
1 tsp minute tapioca

Place the blueberries and tapioca into the pan.  Stir gently to combine.

1/4 butter, melted (I know I said this was "heart healthy, but you need a LITTLE butter!  I cannot bring myself to use margarine!)
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground roasted flax
3/4 cup oats
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ginger and nutmeg

Combine above ingredients in a bowl.  Use hands to crumble chunks on top of blueberries until all the mixture is used up or desired ratio of fruit to topping is achieved (I always use it ALL!).  Bake at 350F until blueberries are bubbling and topping is brown...about 30 minutes when the blueberries are frozen.

Serve with ice cream...unless you are eating it for breakfast - then serve with yogurt!


Other family favourites:

Fresh pineapple dipped in coconut yogurt (Liberte brand!)
Diced Apples tossed in vanilla yogurt and cinnamon (apple salad)
Fresh Fruit and pretzels with a dip of nut butter and maple syrup
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Chocolate Pudding made with Avocado, Maple Syrup and Cocoa
Any other kind of fruit crisp
Homemade Sorbet of frozen raspberries and greek yogurt in the blender
Homemade Popsicles made of blended fruit/fruit juice and/or yogurt.
Yogurt layered with mixed berries and granola; "parfait style"

Wow, looking at this, I see my family loves yogurt and fruit!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Lauren! So excited for this come-back post. The sounds so good. Mmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete