Tuesday 15 November 2011

Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats (Slow Cooker Recipe!)

I guess I am kind of risking it, seeing as these are in my slow cooker right now (for the morning) and I haven't really sampled them yet. This recipe comes highly recommeded from a friend whose daughter saw a teacher eating them at her school and it looked so good she asked for the recipe (hope I got that story right Michelle!).  So, although I am not sure of the original author of this recipe, nor am I sure what they taste like, I am also sure they will be good!  I am also sure my friends daughter will grow up to be a foodie if she isn't already - I definately would have been the kind of student to run after a deliciously aromatic bowl of food too!

Since I am still using up my pumpkins, this is a perfect one for me to make!  Funny story about my pumpkins...those of you who know me well have likely heard this because I think it's hilarious - last year, we planted one pumpkin plant in the garden, and yielded one pumpkin, which had grown under our fence and into the neighbour's yard.  It grew very large, and we had no idea it was even there until my neighbour hit it with his lawn mower last October!  This year, I planted one pumpkin plant again, and got about 30 pumpkins!  Crazy!  From one in the neighbours yard to 30 taking over my whole garden!  Good thing we loooove pumpkin.....


Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats (Slow Cooker)

3 cups cubed raw pumpkin (you could also likely use 1 can of pumpkin puree)
1.5 cups steel cut oats
6 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Put in your slow cooker for 8 hours.

Did I mention this recipe contains NO sugar?  Just honey!  LOVE it!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm.....this sounds delish Lauren. I have a really tiny slow cooker that I've yet even use. This might be the perfect recipe to test the machine out. I will just need to figure out how much cut the recipe down to so it fits in the lil' thing!

    ReplyDelete