Tuesday 15 November 2011

Healthy Snacks

I am the parent-helper in my youngest son's preschool class tomorrow (whaaat?  my youngest is in preschool??).  One of the duties of the parent-helper is to provide the snack for the class.  I found and modified a cute recipe for some little round "energy bites."  They are both healthy and tasty. 

No-Bake Energy Bites
adapted from Smashed Peas and Carrots

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 sunbutter (this is sunflower seed butter, which is nut free, but feel free to sub peanut butta!)
1/3 honey (use liquid honey, not creamed honey)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup roasted ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients together and let chill in your fridge for half and hour.  Roll into balls and keep refridgerated until serving.  Makes about 2 dozen.


Here is a list of other popular snacks with my kids:
- apple slices with nut butter for dipping
- apple slices with peanut butter
- whole grain crackers or bread with nut butter and banana slices
- other fresh fruit
- frozen fruit smoothies
- whole grain crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly; or with sliced cheese and apples
- veggies, pita bread triangles and hummus or greek yogurt dip (like tzaziki)
- dried mango; other dried fruits
- tamari almonds or other nuts
- pretzels
- homemade granola bars, muffins, quick breads
- yogurt and granola with fresh or frozen berries

Often my kids' lunch is made up of a smoothie and a combination of some of these healthy "snacks."  I am always looking for new snack ideas.  What do your kids snack on??  Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I know Lucy doesn't snack on things like this yet, but they're easy snacks for me! :) something Lucy does love to snack on is rice and wheat puff cereal. I like giving it to her too because they just melt in your mouth and I'm not worried about her choking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Joanna...love this!

    ReplyDelete